Friday, September 10, 2010

Recycling Oldies for Goodies

This week I FINALLY got the sewing room in order from the move.  There is floor!  In addition to getting everything put away, I went through my closet and pulled everything that I don't wear any more in hopes to give it new life.  Needless to say, I've got alot to go through!



So I put on my sewing face and got to work today!






At first I wanted to change my old t-shirts into underwear.  I found a nifty site Free Clothes Patterns that had a lot of cool free patterns including t-shirt underwear.  Well, being a pear-shaped woman, I quickly found out that the ratio of rear to chest would not work! Especially since most of my old shirts are too small.

So after some contemplation, I decided to make a couple of sports bras!  They are something I wear all of the time, so why not make a couple?  I don't make a habit of showing my undergarments off, but its the hidden pleasure of wearing something cute that counts. ^_^



My first 'victum'







After sketching it out, I added 1/2 inch to the top and sides, and an inch to the bottom
to allow for elastic.  I only draw one side at a time so I can cut it out and fold it over
to have symmetrical sides.



The back




All cut out.  I used the bottom of the shirt for the straps.
My theory on that is that it already has a slot for elastic,
so half my work is done!




Before I folded over the sides and top, I finished the edges with a zigzag stitch.
Its kinda like serging it without a serger.




After looking at the 'straps', I stitched along the previous stitch line to slim them up a bit.
I attached them using spacing measurements off the original bra.






Finished product!

I'll keep an update on any else nifty I can make out of that monstrous pile.



loves loves loves

2 comments: