Look! No little tails sticking out the middle!
Tied up for the evening.
About 50% of the time I end up rubbing the scarf off on the pillow in my sleep.
Which, consequently, happened again last night.
...Good Morning
Look Mom! No pins!
At this point, I did what all vintage pin curl semi-experts and experts say is the most important part of the whole deal. I brushed my hair...
...and it turned out pretty much like every other time I've done it. However, having pictures of the whole ordeal has allowed me to scrutinize what the heck went wrong.
1. Compared to Brittany's photos, I've got my curl placement all wrong.
2. Compared to the chart on Lady Betty's page, which is a different set, I've got my curl placement all wrong.
3. During the actual setting of the curls, I had an epiphany. My hair cut is a very modern one. When I got it chopped off, and tried to convey a 40's style, it confused my hairdresser. Greatly. I found something similar in a modern hairdresser's book, and we got there (kinda). BUT, the big thing was she razored the crap out of my layers, which tend to stick out when one is trying to curl them to the head.
Since deciding on doing my hair and day-to-day fashion in a vintage style, I have come across this cut manual several times in my internet research.
These will definitely be brought in the next time I get a haircut, which should be soon. If you are going for a vintage hairstyle, you can do it with a modern haircut but I hear that its much easier with a period cut. (Go figure)
Having my hair end up in a wonky disaster several times in the last few months, I've figured out how to deal with it without taking a shower and starting over. This is mainly due to the fact that I actually have fairly busy lifestyle, and can't afford to babysit my hair while I'm trying to figure out how to not look like Ronald McDonald.
This has been the tried and true method for me:
scarf!
When all else goes wrong, tying it up with a scarf pretty much solves anything.
Since the hair is already curly, Victory Rolls are usually pretty easily achieved.
Unless you are me.
Then you fight with one side for about twenty minutes.
I thought about putting the back of my hair up in several rolls to get it off of my neck, but then I came to my senses. I achieve the Victory Roll + placed rolls with hot curlers -- it gives my hair enough curl to work with, but doesn't leave me with a frizzy/bumpy roll.
*sigh*
Oh well. Looks like I'll be trying this again.
loves loves loves






Like I said in my post, my hair totally fails when I do pin curls. However, I am going to try again using Brittany's tutorial.
ReplyDeleteAs for the vintage cut, I had a "modern" cut until June and then I found the same diagrams for the Baby and Middy cuts. I had shorter hair so my stylist opted for the Baby. My hair has since grown a bit and I have a Middy. In two weeks, I will need another highlight touch-up and trim. And I will also be able to get a Middy Plus. My goal is to have a Femme Fatale and to have enough length to do a pony tail on lazy days.
Before I had my vintage Baby cut, my hair did not curl well. But now, wow! What a difference! The cut really makes curls amazing. If you want to do vintage hair, a vintage cut is not a must, but I recommend it.
that ever present "try try again".
ReplyDeleteMy grandmother's comment on the whole thing was "your hair will pretty much do whatever it likes, in spite of haircuts and pin curls".
Regardless, I'm thinking either the Baby or the Middy, but I haven't decided on how short yet. That, and I think I'm ready to try sponge curlers. Maybe.
Mmm, Femme Fatale. Rita Hayworth days much? ^_^
I just got a middy for the first time and it has REALLY helped my pin curling. My hair was pretty thick, so my stylist thinned it out, helping all of the curls to fall nicely and not end up too poofy. Brushing out is always the hardest part for me. I sometimes use a boar bristle brush and brush the curls out against my hand, shaping the curls around my hand and fingers as I go. On frizzy hair days, a vented plastic brush seems to help the curl to relax instead of frizzing out. If your hair is thick, you can try to brush it out in sections. Pin the top sections of your hair up and brush out the bottom layers, letting a new layer down as you brush. It really does take a lot of practice before you figure out what works for your hair. I have also had a lot of luck with pillow rollers and rag curls. Good luck!!
ReplyDelete